The Ceiling Suckers ® Gallery will give you an idea of what could be in your ceiling.
The descriptions for each photo are below:
Asbestos lagging used on the hot water pipes was found strewn all over the ceiling in this house in Concord. The hot water pipe was directly above the manhole. Anyone entering the roof via this point would have been showered with white asbestos.
Electrical work and new timbers installed adjacent to asbestos lagging. Because no one identified the asbestos, those who worked here will die an early death.
Asbestos powder still in Hessian bag lying adjacent to where electrician installed halogen
down light. A hole would have been made here, with both occupant and tradesman exposed to asbestos.
Ceilings are not just vacuumed. They are scrubbed as well. As can be seen, it is difficult and dangerous. In summer the radiant heat coming off the tiles can be 80 degrees. Air temperature is usually
Ceiling being cleaned, with Tontine polyester installed in the background.
Dead rat found in fibreglass batt. Probably took bait, and crawled into safety of its nest to die.
What is left of a house after cellulose fibre insulation caught fire
Cellulose fibre caught fire when air conditioning installers used gas torch to silver solder gas pipes. The fire was put out but
unbeknownst to all, continued to smoulder. It reignited two days later, after a change in the weather caused wind to pass through the roof in the early hours of the morning.
Remains of a flue above bathroom. A gas hot water system operated with coal gas (or town gas) had been installed below.
Hazvac in action. Sucks not only loose fill insulation, but fibreglass batts as well. Insulation is sucked out, pumped into receiver through water cyclone, and taken to licensed tips for disposal as per EPA requirements.
Seen at the edge of ceiling is rectangular flue from gas heater built into the wall. Fumes from this were responsible for over 100kg of super fine dust to be deposited on ceiling. The dust was high in PAH's
Cutting up disused hot water tank prior to removal. Although this tank was disused it still held about 400 litres of water.
Dead rat found after fibreglass batts sucked out. Rats will chew at wiring. PVC used as insulation has lead in it to keep it pliable. Lead is sweet, and is attractive to rats.
Typical rats nest. Fibreglass batts systematically pulled apart to make cocoon, Usually found in corners of roof, or perimeter.
Sometimes well established rat colonies will take fibreglass into eaves, making them inaccessible
Hazvac automatically bags dust